Sunday, April 26, 2009

Digital Signatures with SEA

One of the features of SQL Encryption Assistant is providing an easy mechanism to digitally sign programmables in a SQL Server Database. For this example I have created the following

  1. A table named EMPLOYEES

  2. A procedure to select all rows from EMPLOYEES named getEmployees

  3. Digital Certificate named CERT_01

I can now launch SQL Encryption Assistant inside Management Studio. Navigate to the certificate you wish to use for signing and right click to get to the Add Signature menu item.



From here I can sign procedures, functions, triggers, or assemblies. In the interest of keeping this simple, I will have a follow up post on counter signing on a later date.


The Add Signature window will open upon selecting the menu item. As you can see below, I have selected the procedure getEmployees to be signed. I have also entered the password that was used to protect Cert_01.



Click OK to sign the procedure. I also would like to mention that once a programmable is signed, it will show up in the dependencies window for the certificate used in the signing.

No comments:

Post a Comment