Sunday, August 2, 2009

The DBA vs. Service Broker Assistant Part I


A while back I posted the MSDN example for event logging with SQL Service Broker using our latest product SQL Service Broker Assistant. The example is a Service Broker implementation for logging event notifications. Then I got to thinking...how long would it have taken me to script the application in T-SQL? Good question. I have no idea.

So, I decided to have a little competition.

The DBA vs. Service Broker Assistant

A couple notes for the test. The example has several steps and for the sake of simplicity the dependent tables and stored procedure are deployed ahead of time. This test will be performed using the Standard edition of Service Broker Assistant. The professional edition is in the final stages of development and once it is released I will attempt the same test. The professional edition will allow you to create event notifications for Service Broker, the final step in the example.

Steps

1. Enable the Service Broker on the instance.

2. Create the service queue for logging.

3. Create the logging service.

4. Create logging tables, one in relational format the other to handle XML.

5. Create the stored procedure for executing upon activation.

6. Alter the queue to add the stored procedure created in step 5.

Ready...set...GO!!!

The completely unscientific results:

DBA 2 minutes 55 seconds
SBA 1 minute 25 seconds

Over a 50% decrease in time!
Now that assumes I remembered all the syntax for each step, while possible, I don't know about you but most of the time I need to look things up. Remember, I'm a developer by trade not a DBA...so wait maybe it should be Developer vs. Service Broker Assistant?

I...need...a...DBA. Hmmm...to be continued.




No comments:

Post a Comment